Home > Getting Started
Interested in going abroad but have no idea how to make it happen? It is never too early or too late to make plans for studying abroad.
Consider the following steps to study abroad:
1. Meet with a study abroad peer advisor.
Peer advisors have been through the study abroad program and have first-hand experience abroad. They are educated on the various opportunities available to SVSU students and can help to answer questions like:
- Where can I go?
- What programs are available for my major?
- What is it like to live overseas?
- What kind of scholarships and financial aid opportunities are there?
- What is the study abroad application process?
Peer advisors are available to meet in the Study Abroad Office (Wickes 280) Monday-Friday anytime between 8am-4:30pm. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your appointment today!
2. Create a study abroad profile.
Create a study abroad profile that allows you to search and save programs of interest. If you are new to this site, create a profile here by logging on with your SVSU username and password.
3. Search for a program.
Use the program database to search for a program that meets your needs.
Keep in mind:
- Programs are available for every major offered at SVSU. Take your General Education classes or some of your upper-level credits and electives abroad.
- Programs range in length. Programs during the summer and during breaks last anywhere between 1-6 weeks (on average).
- You do not need to know a foreign language to study in non-English speaking countries. Programs are available all over the world with courses taught in English.
- You will never be alone on a study abroad program (unless you want to be)! Most programs will have other American and/or international students who will be along with you. You'll have the chance to make many new friends - both from the US and abroad!
- You can use ALL of your current SVSU financial aid and scholarship money toward any study abroad program offered. Additional scholarship money is also available depending on what program you choose!
4. Submit an application.
Read about the application process.
Submit your application today! The earlier, the better. Keep in mind the following SVSU application deadlines:
-Faculty-led programs: December 15th
-Fall semester-long programs: March 15th
-Spring/Summer semester programs (non-faculty-led): March 15th
-Spring/Summer faculty-led programs: December 15th
-Winter semester-long programs: October 15th
If you are planning to participate in a semester-long program (Fall, Winter, and non-faculty-led Spring/Summer programs), the application process is 2 steps. You must first apply to the SVSU program using this site, and from there you will need to submit your application to the appropriate provider or exchange program. For more details, questions, and further assistance with this process, please visit (Wickes 280), e-mail (email@example.com) or call (964-7337) the Study Abroad Office. Study Abroad Advisors are available to help!
5. Attend a pre-departure orientation.
You will be provided with the dates of your pre-departure orientation after your SVSU application has been process and you've been accepted on to the program. Orientations cover a ton of important information, including:
-Registration and course credit
-Billing, banking, and financial aid
-Health and safety while abroad
-International health and travel insurance
-Packing and flying
6. Depart for the experience of a lifetime!
Don't forget to let us know how things are going by posting on our Facebook!